What if I am an LPC in another state and want to be licensed as an LMFT in Virginia?

If you are licensed as an MFT in another state you may apply for licensure by endorsement.  The requirements for licensure by endorsement are excerpted from the Virginia Regulations Governing the Practice of Marriage and Family Therapists (8-24-2016):

“18VAC115-50-40. Application for licensure by endorsement.

A. Every applicant for licensure by endorsement shall hold or have held a marriage and family license in another jurisdiction in the United States and shall submit:

  1. A completed application;
  1. The application processing and initial licensure fee prescribed in 18VAC115-50-20;
  1. Documentation of licensure as follows:a. Verification of all mental health or health professional licenses or certificates ever held in any other jurisdiction. In order to qualify for endorsement the applicant shall have no unresolved action against a license or certificate. The board will consider history of disciplinary action on a case-by-case basis; and

    b. Documentation of a marriage and family therapy license obtained by standards specified in subsection B.

  1. Verification of a passing score on a marriage and family therapy licensure examination in the jurisdiction in which licensure was obtained;
  1. An affidavit of having read and understood the regulations and laws governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in Virginia; and
  1. A current report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB). 


    B. Every applicant for licensure by endorsement shall meet one of the following:

  1. Educational requirements consistent with those specified in 18VAC115-50-50 and 18VAC115-50-55 and experience requirements consistent with those specified in 18VAC115-50-60;
  1. If an applicant does not have educational and experience credentials consistent with those required by this chapter, he shall provide:a. Documentation of education and supervised experience that met the requirements of the jurisdiction in which he was initially licensed as verified by an official transcript and a certified copy of the original application materials; and

    b. Evidence of clinical practice as a marriage and family therapist for 24 of the last 60 months immediately preceding his licensure application in Virginia. Clinical practice shall mean the rendering of direct clinical services in marriage and family therapy or clinical supervision of marriage and family services; or

  1. In lieu of transcripts verifying education and documentation verifying supervised experience, the board may accept verification from the credentials registry of the American Association of State Counseling Boards or any other board-recognized entity.”