Note: VAMFT plays no part in the process of licensing MFTs in Virginia. However, as a professional MFT organization, we present the following information in an attempt to help explain and clarify the licensing process. Any information you receive from a member or representative of The Virginia Board of Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, and Substance Abuse Treatment Professionals (hereafter referred to as the Board of Counseling or BOC) should be considered to supersede this information.
- How do I get an MFT license in Virginia?
- What is the difference between an LMFT, and an LPC, LCSW, and LCP in Virginia?
- Do I have to be a member of AAMFT/VAMFT to be granted an MFT license?
- Does getting the MFT License in Virginia enable me to meet the requirements for AAMFT Clinical Membership?
- Are all Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists members of AAMFT/VAMFT?
- What fees are assessed by the BOC?
Questions About Education
- What are the coursework requirements to be eligible to take the MFT licensing exam?
- Must the graduate study courses come specifically from an MFT program?
- Must the graduate study courses come specifically from a COAMFTE approved program?
- What educational programs in Virginia are accredited by COAMFTE?
Questions About Licensure By Endorsement
- What if I already have an MFT license from another state?
- What states has the BOC determined to have the educational and experience requirements consistent with those specified in the Regulations Governing the Practice of Marriage and Family Therapists?
- What if I am already an LPC in Virginia, but want to gain an MFT license instead of or in addition to my license?
- If I have already submitted documentation to become an LPC in Virginia, but now want to become an LMFT in Virginia instead, are my documents transferrable given that both licenses are governed by the BOC?
- What if I am already an LPC in another state, but want to also become an LMFT in Virginia?
Questions About The Licensing Exam
- How do I get the MFT license application forms?
- Can I take the licensing exam before completing all of the educational and supervised practicum experience requirements?
- What sorts of questions are on the licensing exam?
- What score do I need to get on the licensing exam in order to pass?
- Are there study guides or workshops available to help prepare for the licensing exam?
Questions About Work Experience
- What are the supervised residency experience requirements?
- What type of supervised work experience is accepted towards licensure?
- Must all face-to-face supervision be one-on-one with the supervisor, or can I count group supervision hours?
- What license must a supervisor hold?
- How do I become an approved supervisor?
- Are there other requirements for becoming approved as a supervisor?
- How do I find an approved supervisor?
- How do I register my supervision?
If you would like help or support navigating the licensure process, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com .